What Digital Platforms Are Students Currently Using to Develop Their Professional Network?

In today’s day and age there are so many digital platforms at students’ fingertips. They can develop and expand their professional networks through LinkedIn, email, Brightspace blogs/forums. Individuals can share their opinions and thoughts with other like-minded people to start a conversation which can lead to an expansion of their professional network. There is something for everybody when it comes to a digital platform fitting the needs of someone who wishes to develop their own professional network.

What Can You (As A Student) Consider Expanding Your Professional Learning Network?

As a student, I could expand my professional learning network by putting more of an effort to connect with my fellow peers and instructors. Especially due to COVID-19 it has caused a transition to online learning, so it be very difficult to engage with new people and broaden your circle. At least when school was in person it much easier and more convenient to connect with new people especially those in my cohort because we were all under the same program and studying the same thing so we all already had a common ground that could spark conversation. However, since the transition to having school being completed from a screen it is nearly impossible to make a new network of people. Although I have found that group projects have been a great way in spear heading the situation and essentially forcing students to interact with one another regardless of the distance learning and figuring out alternatives with meeting one another like Zoom or Facebook Messenger calls. I have also found interacting with one another through discussion posts and joining groups has been a great way in expanding my professional learning network.

In Your Network, How Can You Create A Digital Identity/Reputation?

Ever since I was younger, I have always been told be aware of what you post online because it will be there forever, and I have always been conscious about that whenever I am going to post. I have learned that not everything you read online is true or factual so always do your own research before you want to speak on a topic. It is critical to be your true authentic self and to not put up a facade for people – you should match your true identity. The internet can be a fun and entertaining place, but it can easily go left, with negativity and hate. It is essential to know that social media is not everything and that it is only a sliver of what your actual life is. You are in control of what you portray to the public and what they see is up to you.

Consider What A Local Employer Would Do If You Applied For A Job With Them – Can They Search The Content, Is It Of Benefit To The Career Path, Does It Hinder The Opportunity Of Employment?

If an employer were to search me up on the internet, they would only have access to my professional identity on LinkedIn. All of my other social medias are private and personal so that it isn’t accessible for everyone. However, hypothetically speaking if they did have access to my personal private accounts it would not hinder me from opportunities of employment in the slightest. The content I put out is of my life and who I am as a person, I don’t believe it would have negative impacts on potential employers.

The Digital Visitor and Resident Continuum White. D. (2017).
V and R Mapping. Retrieved from http://daveowhite.com/vandr/vrmapping/